Monday, August 19, 2013

Natalie Rae

On December 6, 2012, God blessed our little family with another precious baby girl. Natalie Rae Shankland was born in Denver, CO, at the Mountain Midwifery birth center weighing 6 pounds 14 ounces and 20 inches long. But lets back up a bit...

This was me, on her due date. Yikes!
December 1st was the original due date I was given for Natalie, but she just wasn't ready to meet us quite yet and made her poor mama wait another week. For the last month or so of the pregnancy I was having regular, time-able contractions and at least a dozen times I said THIS IS IT! LETS GO! but they would always stop. It got a little frustrating! (Our doula was such a great help to me in that time, I really don't know how I would have made it through without her!)

When Natalie did finally decide it was time though, she wasn't messing around. We left for the birth center right at rush hour (of course) and got stuck in evening traffic. That was NOT a fun car ride, let me tell you. She was born about 20 minutes after we arrived at MMC. It was close! Rob said he really thought she would be born in the car, and I can't say that thought didn't cross my mind a few times too.

It was a wonderful birth and went pretty much according to plan. She was born in the water at 6:32 PM. Because it was so fast we didn't even get a chance to bring the "Go Bag" in from the car. We had music, snacks, relaxation stuff, you name it and it was in that bag, and none of it got put to use. I was ok with that though! 3.5 hours of labor was MUCH preferred to the 19+ that it took for Emily to arrive. I'll take it.

Meeting her sissy for the first time.

Sister love from the very beginning.
We were home about 4 hours after she was born (can I say again how much I loved MMC?) and got to settle in right away and sleep in our own bed rather than at a hospital. Rob waited on me hand and foot for the entire first two weeks of Nattie's life and we pretty much just snuggled on the couch and got to know each other. It was wonderful! I couldn't ask for a better husband. He had to leave for work for two weeks just a few days after Emily was born, so it was really great to have him around this time. These girls sure love their daddy!

My Loves
Nattie 1 month, Emily almost 3
3 months old
Her first 4 month photos
Trying food for the first time, 6 months old. Who needs the avocado when you can eat the bowl?
Happy 4th of July!
Enjoying the sun
8 months old

My girls!

She's getting so big!
At 8 months old Nattie is sitting up all on her own, rolling all over the place, scooting and spinning on her tummy and trying to army-crawl. I'm thinking before the end of the month she'll be crawling! Yikes. She makes lots of different sounds but doesn't babble much yet, and I'm thinking that's because she's a thumb sucker and always has her hand in her mouth. At this point though that's fine with me! Emmie talks more than enough for both of them, haha.

Natalie had a few reactions to food when we first started to introduce it so we are going slow with the table food for now. But she loves pretty much anything we've given her (even if it doesn't love her) and is eager to try more. She eats anything we put in front of her! It's a nice change from Miss Picky Pants Emily. :)

I don't know where the last 8 months have gone, but I have to say that I'm really happy with where we are now. Our days have been full of laughter, tears, frustration, sleepless nights, more sleepless nights, more laughter, and lots of love. Nattie is such a sweet girl. She loves her mama and adores her daddy, but her big sissy is really her favorite. All it takes is for Emily to come into the room and she has Natalie's complete attention. It's so amazing to see them play together and love each other. We really are blessed to have these two beautiful girls in our family! Even if neither one of them would ever take a bottle or sleep through the night. Have I mentioned we've had some sleepless nights? Perhaps if she starts to sleep more I'll be able to post more. Well, one can hope anyway, right? 

Here's to more fun, more laughs, more smiles and giggles, and of course more love. God has blessed us richly and I am so thankful to Him for it! I couldn't imagine our family with out this sweet baby; she brings us so much joy. We love you Nattie Roo! I can't wait to see the girl you become. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your stories! You are truly blessed to be the mother of two such smart and beautiful girls. I do know what that's about! Can't wait to see you all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment!