Saturday, August 10, 2013

Preschool Time



Quite a few things have changed for us over the last few years. We moved to the Denver area, had a second beautiful daughter, Rob changed careers. It takes a lot to keep going some days, but we're doing it! I love our little family and wouldn't change it a bit!

With Emily quickly growing up and Nattie now deciding she needs to follow suit (darn babies that don't stay babies!), we've started to look more at the future for our girls and what we want that future to look like for them. In that vein, something I have become passionate about is homeschooling. Rob and I have decided that homeschooling our girls is the best option for them. I have some teacher friends (whom I love) and I know there are lots and lots of really great teachers out there, but the public school system in this country is failing. With the introduction of the Common Core State Standards, it has become even more apparent to me that homeschooling is the right choice for our family. I have always felt God leading me in that direction, and I'm going to teach both girls at home as long as that remains possible. I am so grateful to have this opportunity; watching my kids learn and discover new things is amazing! What a blessing to be able to be around for those moments.

So far, it's been great! We did a little informal learning with Emmie last year, but being pregnant (and huge) it was pretty hard to keep up a good schedule with her. I found a great curriculum that we love called My Father's World, and by supplementing with a few extra things I think she's going to learn a lot this year. We've completed one week so far and Emmie loves it! She is so eager to learn and soaks things up like crazy. I may be a bit biased, but I think she's the best preschooler ever! :)

First Day!

Counting days on the calendar

We had been doing a little school here and there over the summer so we started this year in the middle of the alphabet. This week was "I" for Inchworm.

She LOVES to do the dots!

This is part of the My Father's World set we got. It's fantastic!

Matching capital and lower case letter "I"

Painting is another big favorite!

Violet the puppy came to class today. :)

I am SO proud of my big girl. She loves to learn and works very hard, even when she gets frustrated. She's always got a smile on her face and a giggle to share and it's a joy to be her teacher, and her mama! She's our little monkey and we love her so much! I can't believe she's already three and in preschool. Sheesh.

And I can't end without sharing the love. Little sister Natalie is our other joy! 



She's 8 months old now and growing like crazy. She love her mama and daddy, but truly adores her sissy. The best thing in the world is watching them play together! Emmie is great with her and they can laugh and play for quite a while together. I am one blessed mama!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back to posting. You do, however, have plenty of good reasons to have put it aside for a while, not the least of which is that beautiful classroom. You've done a ton of work, and Emily will really enjoy learning. Great job! Nattie looks amazingly like her Nama! See you mid-September. Still working out the details. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment!