Thursday, October 8, 2009

One Down, Two to Go!

This week we made it to a big milestone, week 13 and the second trimester! Hooray!! I'm really starting to feel much better and am getting my energy back. The headaches are back in full force also! That part is not so great. My appetite is not so wacky and I seem to be able to handle regular smells without gagging, which is a real blessing! It was getting to the point that the garbage or the fridge would send me to the bathroom because I couldn't handle the smell! I'm VERY glad that's gone.

Here's a picture of me at 13 weeks! Yes, I look super-tired but it was late! Like 8:30! Bedtime has moved up at our house lately. :)


The picture of the punkin this week was a shrimp, and I thought it looked a little icky, so I didn't post it. A shrimp! Gross. I hope next week is better!

One of the things that I've been thinking about a lot this week is the Swine Flu vaccine, and the regular flu vaccine too. With all the sick people around these days the pressure has been on to Get Your Flu Shots! It's even been on the news and in commercials! Personally, I've never gotten a flu shot of any sort and I've never gotten the flu, so I don't put a lot of faith in the vaccines being all they're cracked up to be. I'm still working out how I feel about other vaccines for babies and kids, but that's a whole different post...

Anyway, there is a lot of info out there about what goes into these flu shots, and some of the ingredients (like mercury) are not recommended during pregnancy (not even in tuna) so I don't think getting it shot directly into my arm is a very smart thing to do. The new H1N1 shot is also just this month being tested on pregnant women, and no one really knows yet what the risks to unborn babies could be. They say it's only safe for infants over the age of 6 months, so I don't know why it would be safe for a baby in the womb.

All that to say this: no flu shots for me! Or Rob, for that matter. We're usually pretty healthy people, and between the vitamins I take each day and the fact that I work at home and not in a crowded office building, I think I'll take my chances and pass on the flu vaccines this year.

I would love to hear your opinions, as this is something I've given a lot of thought to. Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the flu shot--We aren't having them either. I am very leery about the amount of testing that has gone into the vaccine, and I so do not trust anything the government does that I will also take my chances. I really don't think the hiney virus is worse than the average flu, but they are trying to promote a panic so people will accept more gov. control.

    As for having a flu shot when you're pregnant, I think the baby gets her protection from the mother, and you are healthy.

    And I think that blossoming tummy is very sweet. I am so thrilled about the prospect of another grandchild (maybe an actual girl???). You are going to be a great Mom--you have all the right instincts, and a calmness that lets your good sense come through. No running around like a chicken, like I did! Dad and I are always here to help. (We actually think that if we call it help, you'll bring the baby over more often for us to enjoy). Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and foremost, your belly is so adorable!! Will you guys be finding out if it's a boy or girl?? If yes, that's not that far away!!

    As for the flu shot, it's a very frustrating topic. I kind of feel like it's one of those,
    "Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't" type situations. I'm pretty positive that I have 100% decided NOT to do the H1N1 vaccine for any of us. We'll probably all get the regular flu shot (they have special ones for preggo mommas) just because Jackson is in preschool this year and the new baby will be born right in the midst of flu season. But the H1N1 just doesn't have enough testing for me to feel comfortable injecting it into myself or my children. The swine flu is scary to me, only because it's showing to hit pregnant women so much harder than the average person. But with you working at home, and making sure you wash your hands ALL the time, you should be just fine without the vaccination!

    Sorry this is so long.... this subject has just been on my mind over the last week since we had to have Jackson tested for H1N1 yesterday (he's been pretty sick, but feeling much better today!!).

    You're going to be such an AMAZING mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should never find out what baby is and raise it as a robot!

    Lookin good momma, keep up the good baby-building work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment!