Friday, February 5, 2010

Just Say No.

First of all, I want to say that we aren’t anti-doctors, anti-hospitals or anti-modern medicine. We are still planning to deliver at Sacred Heart. However, our recent experience at the emergency room there completely solidified our belief that choosing natural birth for this baby is the right thing for us, and there is no one out there that knows what we want (and need) better than we do.

So, last week I got a chest cold. I have asthma so of course the first thing that happens is that it goes to my chest and I get that horrible cough that makes people look at you like you’re going to kill them just by being in the same room with them. Needless to say, it was pretty hard to breathe with the cold and with the baby squishing things in there! Friday morning I woke up and it was bad enough that Rob decided we needed to head to the ER.

We arrived at about 9 am, and waited for a while after checking in. We told them about the asthma and of course the pregnancy, and the first thing they did was to give me a breathing treatment. I’ve had these in the past for chest congestion and they really work for me! That day was no different and after the treatment I was starting to feel better already. At this point I thought we’d be able to get me an inhaler and be on our way… Not so.

The ER doc decides that because I’m pregnant, and therefore more vulnerable to infection, I need to have a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. Hesitantly we agree, after checking (from Rob’s phone) the safety of those for pregnant women. It seems to be ok to do, so we proceed. That test comes back normal. We head back to my little room and wait to be released, but no such luck.

The doctor then says we need to do a blood draw to check my D-dimer levels, and she wants to give me an IV. At this point we’re seriously wondering why we’re still here, but she is the doctor, so we go ahead with the blood draw but decline the IV. I am NOT a fan of those, and I didn’t want to be there all day. She says I “look dehydrated” and brings a quart of water for me to drink instead of the IV fluids. I drink it (and have to pee every 10 minutes from there on out).

Of course, the D-dimer results come back very high, and she tells us the next thing to do is to inject dye into my veins and do a CT scan to rule out a blood clot in my lung. Ok, seriously? I was ready to just walk out of there. We ask for a few minutes to talk about it, because, as she put it, it “does have a significant amount of radiation that gets to the baby”. First of all, my mom literally DIED when they injected her with dye for the same kind of thing (years and years ago) so I don’t ever do the dye thing just in case the same thing could happen to me. And second, radiate my baby? REALLY?? I think not. I have asthma, people! You already gave me the medicine that helped me breathe better!! What more do you need to see?!?!

We declined the test, and she made us sign a form that said we were leaving against her medical advice, but not before she called our OB-GYN and told him what was going on. He apparently agreed with her that the test was necessary, and she even said that I was doing harm to the baby by skipping the test. Awesome, thanks doc. We signed the form and left. It was after 1 PM by the time we got out of there, and I have to say that it felt like we had narrowly escaped their evil clutches! That is not a good feeling. But it was the first time we’d ever turned down medical help or advice to make our own decisions like that. THAT was a good feeling!

So, all of that to say this: I realized that day that doctors aren’t evil, horrible people, they just have a different view of things than we do, especially for the birth of a baby. They NEED to find a solid, undisputable reason for a symptom, and sometimes the easiest answer doesn’t seem to be good enough. We’re planning to go without an IV, or epidural, or constant monitoring, or being stuck in the hospital bed the whole time for the labor and delivery. I don’t want to be drugged or have the baby be drugged if I can help it. Medical emergencies aside, childbirth is not something that a doctor even needs to be involved in, if you ask me! But, that’s a topic for another day and I could go on for HOURS, so I’ll just leave it at that. :)

We hired a doula this week also and she’s great! She’ll definitely help us do this the way we want to, and not be to pressured by nurses and doctors that are just used to doing things the same way each time. Our Bradley Birth Class is really helping with that, too! Both Rob and I have learned SO MUCH it’s amazing, and we both feel much more empowered to be able to do this! First time parents that we are, we want to be as prepared as possible. We’re getting there, slowly but surely!

OK! Enough of that. How about some pictures of the last few weeks! Baby girl is getting BIG!! Unfortunately so is my rear… but it’s for a good cause. :)

Here I am at 29 weeks:

DSC01835

And at 30 weeks:

And here’s the punkin at 30 weeks! I can’t believe we’re 75% of the way there!

30-green-cabbage30 weeks: a cabbage. She weighs about three pounds!

The baby shower is coming up in a few weeks, and I’m very excited! Friends and family will be there that I haven’t seen in a long time. My mom and sissy are throwing it for me, and it’s all a surprise! I can’t wait! :)

I hope everyone has a good weekend, and stay healthy! You don’t want to end up in the ER… Heh heh.

4 comments:

  1. That is so horrible that they wanted to inject you with dye and they made you do x-rays. If you were feeling better they should have let you go. Good for you for standing up for what you think is right for you and the baby.

    Your pictures are very cute I love your checked top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I wrote a (fairly long) comment the other day... but it got lost in some sign in trouble. Seriously - I can't believe they put you through that. You were doing better. I do think some docs are really overboard worrying about being sued. Good for you for standing up for youself.
    I did just have to say that my experience at The Birth Place was really good. Both the weekend I spent the with pre-term labor and the day that our daughter was born. I even saw the on call doc reading my birth plan while waiting for my doc to get there (don't ask me HOW I noticed this during labor) That said - I think it's awesome that you are working with the Bradley method and that you will be ready to stand up for your desires. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How weird that they wanted to do a CT. You are at an increased risk for blood clots when you are pregnant, but you would think if that's what they were really worried about they would just do an ultrasound. The scary thing is when you don't know any better it's hard to know what's necessary and what the doctor is ordering just because they can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With Doctors it seems they are either doing too much or not enough. I got lucky and loved the Ob-Gyn that delivered the first two but I skipped most all of my early pre-natal with Jacob because the HMO we were stuck with that year irritated me with their "every woman is someone's victim" policy. Then there was the after birth parenting class they (same HMO) wanted me to take before they would release me. "Um, exactly how many children does the teacher have? Oh, One! Well, this is my third. I'll take my release papers now thank you very much."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment!